Submit testimony to SUPPORT Res. 17-52
The City Council’s Zoning & Housing Committee is hearing Res. 17-52, which would help the County rein in the growing number of illegal vacation rental operations. The hearing is on Thursday, April 6 at 9:00a at the Honolulu Hale Committee Meeting Room.
Currently, there are an estimated 33,000 homes being used as vacation rentals in the state. On Oahu, there are an estimated 6,789 vacation rentals—the majority of which are illegal. Each month, there have been an average of 399 new vacation rentals listed.
Res. 17-52 would accomplish several important goals, including:
- Making it very clear that operating or advertising an illegal vacation rental is illegal so the City can effectively enforce existing laws.
- Allowing neighbors living within 1,000 feet of an alleged illegal vacation rental to get the city to investigate it or to address the problem themselves in district court.
- Setting aside funds for enforcement of vacation rental regulations.
- Requiring “hosting platforms” like Airbnb to be transparent with their data so the city can determine which of their listings are illegal or not.
Submit testimony in SUPPORT of Res. 17-52 before 9:00a on Thursday, April 6. Tell City Council to protect our affordable housing!
You can testify in person, or just submit written testimony. Here are two ways you can submit testimony:
- Visit the City Council website:
- Fill out your name, phone number, and email
- Meeting date is 4/6/17
- Council/PH Committee is “Council”
- Agenda item is Resolution 17-52
- Your position on the matter: Support
- You can register in person at the hearing, or not
- Write your testimony in the box, or attach it as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf
- Email your testimony using the form below, with the Zoning & Housing Committee members CCed:
This action has expired and the email form is no longer available.